Saturday, April 04, 2020

Memorial of my Grandmother

Grandma was born in a small village in Mainland . According to my vague memory,   her family were middle class farmers. She had a tough childhood with ill treatment by stepmother.  She had to care her younger brother and do a lot of work in the farms. She was married to my grandfather at a young age with proper matchmaking. My grandfather was living in a nearby village and was a handsome person. He studied Chinese Medicine by himself during leisure time and had collected some effective folk prescription. Unfortunately his writings were little and I had only a glimpse of it. The papers were quite worn out last time when I saw them which should date back to over 20 years ago.

After marriage, World War II broke out. My grandmother went to Macau and do some jobs. She later join my grandfather in Vietnam. She had talked about the hardship a few times. But her speech were very brief and I did not have much recollection. Under her help, my grandfather opened a herbal medicine shop in Vietnam. The shop prospered.

She gave birth to 8 kids. Another few passed away at a small age. This fact was frequently mentioned by her though as a kid I did not have much compassion for her. Of course, she got over the emotions very quickly so that in my memory those were not so bitter things. She was a quiet lady and love handiwork. I got a green woollen pullover from her when I was a kid. She was in Vietnam at that time preparing for departure to Hong Kong due to political turmoil.  It was very tightly knit as her finger grip was powerful. It lasted many years.

She passed away due to heart attack in Australia while preparing meal for my Aunties. I am thankful that I have a gentle, quiet, hardworking and optismistic grandmother.

No comments: